As some of you may know, I quit teaching *vinyasa* classes or any of the more yang styles of yoga a couple of years ago. After 20+ years of practice and 14 years of teaching, I knew it was time. I felt like my body was being pulled apart and crumbling and I even stopped practicing asana for a while. This was due partly to an autoimmune disease I was diagnosed with, that likes to target the joints and organs, BUT – it also had much to do with the wear and tear I caused to my own body by years of going much too far into my flexibility. I even considered retiring from teaching altogether.
I’ve always loved a challenging yoga practice and “advanced” postures, because I could get into most of them. I thought it was healthy to be so *open*. I mean, I was told this repeatedly and praised by all my teachers regarding my ability in asana. This encouraged me to keep going deeper and opening more, and of course I thought this was a good thing. Then.
As a result of the pain and damage this past way of practicing has caused, as well and my predisposition to joint degeneration, I have avoided vinyasa style classes. I’m also sensitive to loud music, showy teachers, and classes that feel like they are some sort of choreographed workout that overstimulates my already yang constitution.
But— I recently decided to trust my gut and took a vinyasa class with Abby Kraai of https://straightupyoga.com/ who also happens to teach classes at The People’s Yoga. I felt like I needed to really move my body more this past winter, and needed to test my ability to back off my joints and move safely. I’m so glad I did. I trust Abby. Her classes aren’t fluffed up in any way, and feel responsible and straightforward.
I highly recommend Abby’s classes. If you come to my Yin classes and are looking for a class that would be a great yang compliment, try her classes!
- Please question anyone and everyone who claims to be or calls themselves a “healer”.
Also, those who say they practice “energy medicine” and such and aren’t a licensed acupuncturist, or lack a significant amount of training, which should include certifications and credentials with well respected and credible EM teachers in the field. Be wary.
I’m amazed at all the pretenders out there. It’s so irresponsible, and I’m seeing more and more inexperienced and unqualified people, especially in the yoga world, offering so called “energy medicine sessions”. This work isn’t something you just make up as you go along. Even if one feels inclined to do the work, you need guidance, deep study and thorough ethics training in order to be of any service to others in this way.
- If you aren’t experienced in this work, maybe try calling yourself an “intuitive” instead. Please don’t lead innocent people who are seeking healing to believe that you know what you are doing.
Once you see behind the veil, you can unsee what is seen.
I am beyond thrilled to let y’all know that I will be leading two more Yin yoga classes per week at the new studio The People’s Yoga is opening on Mississippi in North Portland!
Scheduled opening is November. Stay tuned for more details coming soon!
I’m feeling great and healing quickly after shoulder surgery on May 31st. Excited to share the practice of Yin Yoga again! I am also planning to add another class or two soon. Stay tuned! But here are some I am covering this summer at The People’s Yoga (both NE and SE studios) http://www.thepeoplesyoga.org
- July 26 (Tuesday) Yin Yoga 7:15pm in SE Belmont at THE PEOPLE’S YOGA
- July 28 (Thursday) Yin Yoga 7:15pm in NE Killingsworth at THE PEOPLE’S YOGA
- August 4 (Thursday) Yin Yoga 7:15pm in NE Killingsworthat THE PEOPLE’S YOGA
- August 21 (Sunday) Yin Yoga 7:15pm in SE Belmont at THE PEOPLE’S YOGA
- August 23 (Tuesday) Yin Yoga 7:15pm in SE Belmont at THE PEOPLE’S YOGA
- August 25 (Thursday) Yin Yoga 7:15 in NE Killingsworth at THE PEOPLE’S YOGA
- August 28 (Sunday) Yin Yoga 7:15pm in SE Belmont at THE PEOPLE’S YOGA
- August 30 (Tuesday) Yin Yoga 7:15pm in SE Belmont at THE PEOPLE’S YOGA
- September 18 (Sunday) Yin Yoga 7:15pm in SE Belmont at THE PEOPLE’S YOGA